[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Starting a new quiz series: preliminaries

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Friday, 29 August 2008, at 4:43 p.m.

While digging through old literature (looking for documentation on the Harrington victory of 1981) I came across some dusty, but still relevant (BG has been played the same for at least 75 years) quiz problems. I'm going to post those here over the next however many days, as I get them RO'ed.

BUT, I'd like to ask for some cooperation.

1) If you know these problems (or go to the effort of digging them up -- now that might be a waste of time, like me looking for the Harrington reference :), I'd rather you not post until everyone else has had a chance to reply. BTW, unless you've been digging through the same moldy pages I have, I doubt you'll recognize them, not even Marty.

2) PLEASE post your own feelings WITHOUT consulting a bot or reading what others say (until after you post, of course). Some of these might be tricky. (Not might be, ARE...) You're not doing yourself much of a favor by turning this into a consulting chouette. Yes, it is a quiz so TAKE YOUR TIME by all means. But use your head (only).

3) Since initially many Boogoliners are in Madison and maybe not near a computer (or more likely without sufficient time to give good answers) I'm going to wait until late Tuesday before posting the first RO results. I would appreciate it if all of you do the same.

I hope this is a fun quiz (and I hope my above requests don't spoil anyone's fun). I will also be telling you what the "experts" of the day gave as their answers. I think you (like I) will be surprised both ways -- sometimes at how bad they are and other times how good they are.

Some of these are tough; some could turn out to be easy by today's standards. Stick is going to be 'next'ing some; we can all count on that. But don't let him intimidate you. These were (in their day) chosen because they were problems that were felt to be cutting edge and a challenge to the best players of their day. It's fun to see how you might have measured up if you had a time machine.

As always "why" is even more important than "what". Please explain your thinking.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.