[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Historic Quiz info

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Sunday, 31 August 2008, at 1:50 a.m.

The problems I'm presenting first appeared in Backgammon News, a periodical from Prince Alexis Obolensky ('Oby'), the person deemed responsible for competitive backgammon coming to the forefront starting in the 60's and exploding in the 70's. These must be rare as I've not only never seen one but have never even heard of any being for sale. (Anyone ever see one?)

I found these problems in some early 80's publications, in installments. For the one I'm using for these first seven problems (three more this weekend), the expert replies are from the following:

Walter Cooke, Lewis Deyong, Joe Dwek, Porter Ijams, Oswald Jacoby, Paul Magriel, Oby, Stanley Tomchin, and Tobias Stone. Most of these players you should have heard of. Walter Cooke was Barclay's son who died in late 1974 of cancer. So this quiz obviously was initially published prior to then. I'm pretty sure Ijams and Stone lost in the finals of early WC's. (Stone was more famous in bridge circles. He had a cute daughter, Leslie, who played BG in the late 70's and won at least one significant title.)

When the problems were reprinted in the 80's, new experts provided their picks, and often brief commentary. I'll list those experts with the problem solutions. I know that this 2nd modern panel of experts changed in content in the four reprint installments.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.