[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Has poker peaked?

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Friday, 26 December 2008, at 4:55 p.m.

OK, I'm hyperbolizing, but I can't believe what I saw on TV yesterday.

This isn't a brand new show (I've seen it on the TV schedule and wondered what it was for a few weeks). Yesterday at my inlaws they had on the second TV (first TV had the only live national event -- NBA b-ball) a Fox Sports Net show, apparently connected to the WPT, something like "WPTclub.net". From what I can tell, you qualify online. Six players show up in Cal for the taping of the show. It's basic shorthanded NLH sit-and-go (plus each player receiving a single chip to see opp's holecards after a hand is over -- just get to use it once).

This is a sad, sad game. Apparently this exhibits the quality of play on "free" online sites, and maybe many or most homegames. Players enter a pot as cheaply as possible and then, when forced to call, continue to do so down to through the river. If odds are given they are almost always imminently callable. Almost never is someone forced to make tough decision after the first round of betting. Whoever is lucky enough to hit his hand wins.

This reminds me of backgammon where no one tries to block or build -- just move your checkers around the board and try and win the race (when you get the higher dice).

I'm a bit surprised an organization that has gained a lot of respect (WPT) would stoop so low as to encourage this crap and (worse) televise it. Very sad. Are they that desperate??

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.