[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Biggest/most prestigious events on the ABT

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Thursday, 4 June 2009, at 8:02 p.m.

In Response To: Biggest/most prestigious events on the ABT (Christian Munk-Christensen)

OK, now I see the motivation for your question.

If such a tour were to be organized (and I think it's a very good idea from a player's standpoint), making it easy for players (non-US AND US) is important.

Large East-coast cities are the easiest to get to from Europe, but I don't think Chicago and Detroit (in that order) are all that bad. I don't know how much summer vs. winter airfares affect things, but who (other than winter sports fanatics) wants to fly to ANY Continental US city in the winter that isn't in Florida, Arizona (incl. LV there, since it's more like Arizona than its homestate of Nevada), (coastal) California, or south part of Texas??

Las Vegas has its obvious non-BG pluses, which is likely why it already attracts international participation.

Not to imply anything bad about other Ty sites since there are many good ones that are part of the ABT, I think Michigan Summer, one of the LV ty's (probably the November one) and the Midwest Champs are the three best for your tour. LA gets an honorable mention and would likely be easier for Far East and Australian players.

Then there's the question of how excited the local directors would be. I bet Howard would be interested.

A final issue I bring up is "do the Ty's have to change their traditional timeslots?" That would be a big impediment if the answer were 'yes'. I don't know if it would be bad for Michigan's early July date, so close to MC, Cannes, etc. Ditto spring LV or Midwest being close to Nordic Open (sometimes). LA in December is looking a lot better, Patrick...

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.