[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Novi Consolation Final -- Critical Juncture -- Position 2 -- Be Sure to Look at Position 1 First

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Thursday, 9 July 2009, at 1:53 p.m.

In Response To: Novi Consolation Final -- Critical Juncture -- Position 2 -- Be Sure to Look at Position 1 First (Bill Riles)

Adam, I'm surprised. The intent is certainly not to embarrass anyone. I only found these two positions terribly interesting and most instructive.

As we've seen by the posts the seemingly simple 4-3 is a subtly difficult play -- four different choices among some world class players. My analyses of the 4-3 has been frustrating because I cannot get a clearcut answer, you apparently get a different answer, and I don't fully understand the results.

Likewise, I've not yet studied every variation of the cube decision with the various 4-3 play options; however, my initial look at the actual play cube decision was double/close pass. As you've seen, several world class players agree with your take -- it may well be right. Certainly not far off either way.

I find it more interesting that a couple of friends/kibbitzers were giving me flak for the cube in the first place.

Don't have a thin skin. I thought this was something we might all learn something from. My impression at the table, and it remains my impression, is that the primary goal of the 4-3 play should be to keep the cube in the center -- you've stated as much here also.

I'm not judging the play of either of us for praise or ridicule, I'm trying to learn, and perhaps help others learn, by studying such interesting positions and examining the comments and analysis of players like Dave, Rich, Ray, Joe, and others.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.