[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

After Madison, my feelings on the baffle-tube, Part 1

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Tuesday, 8 September 2009, at 2:00 a.m.

As mentioned by Phil earlier, CJC showed up in Madison with two prototype baffle-tubes, made in Brazil. She and Phil both brought nearly identical baffle boxes for my and others viewing/testing -- thanks to both.

The tubes were slight less than 2 inches (maybe exactly 5 cm) in diameter. I didn't measure the length but it seemed to be about 9 inches (~23 cm). The tube part was clear plastic and the sealed (by some kind of adhesive, probably super-glue) endcaps were shiny black (probably lucite = plexiglass = acrylic = perspex = PMMA = ...). Felt covered the closed ends on the inside but not on the outside. Both were quite lightweight (similar to a light wooden dicecup). Each had baffle pins (one had wood, one had plastic) -- about 8 or 9 total in each. They were oriented radially along a true diameter. There was a regularly spaced rotation of maybe 30 degrees (rough guess) for each step.

The tube with plastic baffles had large (looked to me like 5/8 inch but CJC said 9/16 inch and she should know better than I) dice while the one with wooden pegs had 1/2 inch dice. Both were noisy but the wooden pegs were a bit quieter. Both had the problem of dice getting stuck on the pegs ("cocked") at maybe a 10% occurence rate (my guesstimate). The baffling appeared to lead to good randomization, but that also is an obviously subjective opinion.

Keep in mind these are likely just prototypes and several people voiced to CJC their recommendations for improvement. She didn't have an estimated price but I suspect (with precision dice) it should still be less than or around $50 -- again my subjective opinion.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.