[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Controversy in the Chou

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 26 September 2009, at 4:36 p.m.

Please don't think the Chicago Chou is always full of fights and problems...we actually do have a lot of fun and joking and have one or two very nice people in the game.

But this happened last week, and I'd love some opinions:

I am in the box, playing, and MCG is my partner (non-consulting). My opponent rolls a 6-2. He can play it by hitting or not hitting. Hitting is clearly right, and probably wins a gammon. Not hitting probably loses him the game. There is no doubt about the hit. When he rolls the 6-2, there is cheering and applause from his partners. He proceeds to move the 6-2 the full 8 pips, picks up his dice WITHOUT picking up the checker he should have hit, and immediately after picking up his dice, he realizes he didn't pick up the checker and he picks it up and puts it on the bar.

I stop and say we have a problem. According to the rules, that checker was not hit. Several people, including the player who made the mistake, immediately get upset and make statements like this is a friendly game and everyone was talking and everyone knows he meant to hit.

I said that I am sorry, but not only do the rules say he doesn't hit, but the reason I believe the rule should be enforced is because if I had made that mistake (and I have done it) I would not even ask that the play be reversed, and since I would not ask for or accept mercy, and these are the rules of the game, I think they are out of line wanting to get the hit.

After much pleading and arguing (one player even threw down his money and left in disgust) I agreed to wash the game, and even pay a point to those who really felt it was unfair. My partner, MCG, did not agree to this settlement, simply stating that the rules are the rules and should be upheld, but people were so made, and in an attempt to keep people from crying and screaming, we compromised, and MCG went along with it.

I don't have to ask seasoned players who is right or wrong here...there is no question what the rules are and that we were right to insist that the play stands...the question is, in a friendly game, is it right to bend the rules? Should we be easier on people when these innocent and obvious mistakes happen? Was I being unfair or too tough on my opponents? (By the way, this friendly chouette was for $25 a point and the difference between the hit and no hit was several hundred dollars).

Secondly, you are playing a match in a tournament against a friend, and he does the same thing...do you let him correct it?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.