[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Onetime shuffle rule

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Tuesday, 10 November 2009, at 8:55 p.m.

My first love was chess, and I like the touch move rule. I'd like to see it implemented in backgammon, though I would also be content with an in-between rule, possibly as a transition to move-move or touch-move later. (By "move-move," I mean that touching a checker is okay if you haven't started moving it, but that's just a detail.)

When playing chess or other games, I tend to think about tactics when my clock is running and strategy when my opponent's clock is running. In either case, I want to continuously see the position-at-hand. When the position is constantly altered, I feel pulled into my opponent's thought process and my own is disrupted. I don't believe my opponent should have the right to do whatever he likes to the position just because his clock is running -- we're both involved in the game.

I feel I'm being discourteous if I move a checker before I know where it will go. I occasionally do by accident -- if I happen to reconsider as I'm moving, but if the option to reconsider were taken away, I would just be more careful. (People often play a forced or obvious part of a move, but that's fine; it's unlikely to be taken back.)

I propose (in case no one has already) a onetime shuffle rule (or whatever people want to call it): On each turn, a player has the right to make a play or partial play then reset the position ONCE before making the unalterable move. An illegal play (full or partial) uses up the shuffle.

I would further suggest the etiquette that the player say "reset" (or something of the sort) to acknowledge that he has used up his shuffle, then move his checker(s) back to the original position before making the final unalterable move.

If an opponent gets away with resetting twice, inadvertently or otherwise, at least he is not doing so multiple times, annoying you, draining your energy and increasing the chances of a dispute about the original position.

Any thoughts?

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.