[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

College Backgammon Update

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 28 November 2009, at 8:22 p.m.

We are moving forward with plans for backgammon clubs, and hopefully, backgammon courses at colleges and universities all over the country. At this time we are soliciting volunteers. People who are connected with universities, either as students or professors, or even people who live close and are willing to donate their time to host or sponsor a local club at a school and perhaps donate some of their time to help coach.

We are finalizing the course program for the Georgia Southern U. and will share everything we do with anyone who wants to start a course at their school including a proposal with a strong list of arguments as to why Backgammon is a great way to learn probability, strategy, dealing with luck and competition, etc.

The long term goals: hopefully, we will have some sponsorship and funds to provide boards, or significant discounts on boards; to provide scholarships for travel to tournaments and entry into tournaments; lessons and coaching, etc. etc. Hopefully, we will eventually see competitions between schools, both live and on line, and of course, the long term goal is simply to see more people playing backgammon.

Please let me know if you have an interest in getting involved or helping, and any suggestions or desire to serve on a committee would also be most welcomed.

Again, we are in the beginning stages, but I see no reason to wait on getting organized.

This will all be done under the leadership and support of the USBGF and is just one of the many programs you will be seeing that I am sure we will a positive impact on the growth of backgammon in the U.S. (and possibly elsewhere, as we will certainly be happy to share our strategies with groups in other countries).

You can email me at psimborg@sbcglobal.net

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.