[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rollouts for Robertie's 501 Backgammon Problems

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Sunday, 20 December 2009, at 12:28 a.m.

I am pleased to be able to announce that my webpage of rollouts of positions from Robertie's book 501 Essential Backgammon Problems is now ready for public consumption. The page is in HTML form so that you don't have to do any big downloads and you don't need GNUBG to view the results.

Note that I have intentionally omitted the diagrams. This is to avoid violating copyright. I want to encourage people to buy this excellent book and I don't want the website to decrease anyone's incentive to buy the book.

My page does not contain rollouts of every position from Robertie's book, but it does contain every position where GNUBG disagrees with Robertie, as well as a few other rollouts that I found interesting for some reason (as explained on the website). These rollouts are an amalgamation of my own rollouts and Stick's rollouts. Thanks to Stick for allowing me to use his rollouts on my page. I'm still in the process of putting some finishing touches (e.g., when I started building the website, I obviously used my own rollouts, but now that I have access to Stick's rollouts, I'm replacing some of my rollouts with Stick's because he rolled them out for more games), but there should be no major changes at this point.

For those who already have Stick's rollouts, let me mention a couple of bug fixes. Stick neglected to roll out the double hit for position 377, and it ended up coming out on top. Stick also has a diagram error for position 417. In Stick's summary chart, position 30 is labeled Wrong but it should be TCTC; position 368 is labeled Correct but it should be labeled Wrong. I'm still in the process of doing a final pass to catch other bugs like this. If you've rolled out some or all of the positions from this book (I know Michael Depreli has, for instance), I would appreciate it if you could compare your results to mine to see if I've slipped up on anything.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.