[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Naccel 2 -- post #3

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Monday, 11 January 2010, at 1:34 a.m.

In Response To: Naccel 2 -- post #3 (Nack Ballard)

Sorry, Ian, I forgot to credit you for finding the six-sym in White's inner board (You made a different one-pip slide to achieve it, but it's similarly valid). Now that you know about triplets and mirrors, there's no stopping you.

Btw, I have no problem with your cricket-like abbreviation "7.5" for 7 5/6, meaning 7 supes and 5 pips -- what I write as 7(5). However, I'm reluctant to use it for teaching because a period is used as a decimal point in base 10 in the U.S. (unlike some other countries who use commas where we use periods).

For example, say the Blue total is 11.0 and the White total 7.5. Someone might think the difference is 3.5 when it's actually 3.1. If instead the same person sees 11(0) and 7(5), the unusual format serves as a reminder that what is inside the parentheses is sixths rather than tenths. It may seem like a minor issue, but I thought you might want to know why I don't use a period to separate supes (super-pips) from pips.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.