[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

time for backgammon actions

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Tuesday, 16 March 2010, at 12:14 a.m.

I was wondering what clock settings to use when playing a bot. I ran the following two experiments:

1) I set up a BG board and clock plus timer. I shook, rolled, but did not play, then hit the clock and repeated. I ran three trials of 50 rolls each. The results were a mean of 4.69 s with a standard deviation of 0.24s.

2) Similar, except I set up the board and played a game, making the first move that I saw. Four trials totaling 177 rolls had a mean of 8.25s with a standard deviation of 0.24s.

The details of the experiment are relevant. I do not recall ever cocking the dice. I used a Taki board whose soft surface causes the dice tumbling to dampen. (Hard surfaces require longer times for the dice to settle.) I used round wooden cups and shook in an up and down motion, typically four shakes per roll.

I concluded that, using the baseline of 12s/move when playing on a real board, something in the 5-7s per move is the equivalent time when playing a bot. You still have to click the mouse a few times, and (if you're using a physical clock) hit the clock for your opponent. So I'll try 6s/move as the clock setting and see how that works out.

The results of this experiment may have some value for speedgammon clock settings. Regardless, I think it would be good if someone else repeated it to see how much individual technique/style affects the results.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.