[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Suggestion for encouraging more lurkers to post

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Saturday, 10 April 2010, at 6:42 p.m.

I have a suggestion for the regular participants here on this forum, especially (but not only) the world-class players, that might help encourage more participation from lurkers. The suggestion is to make a special effort to respond with some thoughtful analysis when a position is posted by someone who rarely does so.

A loudmouth like myself is going to keep posting positions and ill-informed opinions regardless of whether anybody provides a helpful response, but this is not true of everyone. I just combed through the past month or so looking for positions posted by people who don't often do so, and found that in many cases the response was limited. For example:

nori's position

W Womack's positions

rory's position

storm's position

Obviously it's unreasonable to expect everybody to give detailed analyses of every position that is posted here, and perhaps in some cases it's not necessary (for example, perhaps Stick's concise but insightful response to W Womack's question was all that was needed). However, I think that if people make a conscious effort to notice and respond when a position is posted by someone besides the usual suspects, then it will make this forum noticeably more friendly and welcoming, and encourage wider participation.

If you agree, then one way to start would be to take a look at the four positions above, see if you have anything to say that hasn't been said already, and post a comment, or a rollout (of the given position or of a variant).

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.