[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Cash play tournament at Riviera Cup

Posted By: Bob Koca
Date: Saturday, 10 April 2010, at 10:16 p.m.

In Response To: Cash play tournament at Riviera Cup (mtuhtan)

I have lots to write about this. It has some appeal but I think there are several things in the rules that are undesirable or just simply broken.

mtuthan wrote: "No METs, no score-dependent plays, etc"

Especially in later rounds there will be situations where one player has only a few points left. Those games are significantly different from a regular money game.

From the link:

"Directly inspired from formats in use in poker tournaments, CashPlay gives the less experienced players a better chance to go further in the competition than with a classic knock-out (single-elimination) match format."

Not sure exactly what this is saying. Surely there will be more players (of all levels) surviving the first few rounds. Is it saying that there is a better chance for a poor player to win the tournament? I would like to see the reasoning for that. If true I see it as a negative rather than a positive.

"D 1 100 10 25mns +12s"

2.5 minutes per game + 12 second delay. That is a more lax time control than 25 minutes to play a 10 point match (not saying this is good or bad). If the time control mattered in the end in such a match it likely had more than 10 games. Also the Jacoby rule also makes it a slightly more lax time control.

"Jacoby rule"

Ugh.

Beyond the normal Ugh also note this combines with table stakes in some strange ways.

"9. REBUYS / ADD-ONS Rebuys and Add-on are available for 50% of the Buy-in, or € 360 during Riviera Cup 2010. - Rebuys: A player whose Stack does not exceed 5000 chips may rebuy and receive 2500 chips at any time between games until the end of Level 4. Re-buying during a game is not allowed. - Add-On: Once Level 4 has been completed, and until Level 5 is published (on Day2 at 2pm), any player may purchase an Add-on and receive 5000 chips."

The fair value of 2500 more chips would be the same as the 720 euros for the first 2500 chips purchased. So anyone who is not financially or otherwise willing to rebuy whenever possible is significantly hurting his equity. If you are not willing to sacrifice equity you should be thinking of this tournament as having about a 720 (start) plus 360 + 360 (probably two rebuys, possibly more, maybe just one) + 720 add on = 2160 euros entry fee plus registration. Does anyone still think it is a good format to attract new players?

Suppose I have 5000 chips and the next to last game of round 4 is starting. After this game I will have my last chance for the rebuy. Having that opportunity has some equity and losing a single point is far lass worse than it would normally be.

"If a player exhausts his reserve time (runs out of time), he/she loses his entire stack to his opponent."

That is completely unreasonable. Instead ons should lose the possible value of those games. For example with a cube on 2 with contact lose 6 points. If the cube is not turned lose 1. For the games not yet started lose 1 point each.

"14. GAME PER GAME STAGE – Once only 9 players remain. When the number of players closes to 8 (money round), all players start the first game of the new level, and all must finish that first game before any of them may begin the second game in the level. This rule maintains the fairness of play, and avoids deliberate 'slow downs’ when the very next elimination matters a lot to player's performance or equity."

What is meant by "number of players closes to 8"? I don't think the rule does what is intended anyways. A player has 20 minutes reserve for the 8 games in this level. Could using a lot of that time to se what happens elsewhere be worth it? Seems it would be. Especially if one is considering a take that would put him all in.

"15. MONEY ROUNDS Important rule: Once only 8 players remain, players keep the same opponent, until one of them is eliminated; those 8 players become 4, which are paired using the normal procedure (see "2.Pairings"), until only 2 players remain, who constitute the 2 finalists. During this period, Levels keep increasing as normal."

Suppose that there are 9 players left and everyone is playing say match 1 of that level. Player A and player B are both eliminated in that 1rst game. Are they equally placed or is the one who lost first the one who is placed 9th? If they are equally placed I would guess that they would share 8th place prize money. Is that correct?

"16. CLOCKS (TIMERS) SETTINGS Standard Bronstein clocks are provided; their use is mandatory. Bank or reserve time: 2.5 minutes per game. Bonus time per move: 12 seconds per move. Reminder: If a players runs out of time during the rebuy period, he/she loses his entire stack to his opponent. If he/she decides to rebuy, his/her clock is reset according to the number of games remaining to be played in the current Level. However, his opponent continues with the same remaining time."

Suppose there are 3 games left at a level and a player is down to 1 chips worth. He knows he will want to rebuy if he loses. Suppose he has less than 5 minutes left on his clock and opponent reaches a gin position. Rather than just lose it is advantageous for him to just sit there and forfeit on time. That way after he rebuys as he plans to he will have 5 minutes reserve instead of less than 5. Am I correct that the rule as written indeed makes that a time management strategy?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.