[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Who is Al Hodis?

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Sunday, 18 April 2010, at 6:51 a.m.

Al Hodis began playing backgammon in 1965. (How many people do you know who were playing backgammon in 1965?) He was a regular at the legendary Mayfair Club on E 57th in Manhattan in the 1970s and maybe also in the late 1960s. During this period, some of the players at the Mayfair included Paul Magriel (X-22), Roger Low, Jason Lester, Billy Horan, Mike Senkiewicz, Steve Zolotow and many more. Al quit in 1981 and resumed playing a few years ago.

I remember seeing Al thirty years ago in Massachusetts when he played in a big NEBC tournament in Cambridge. I was just a beginner at the time and remained a beginner for a few years.

Nack mentioned that Al's nickname years ago was "Hodaddy." Al told me today that his new nickname is X-71. Here's how he got this nickname:

Within the last few years, Al played a big tournament match with a lot of money riding on it against Well Known Player (WKP). I am not telling you who WKP is because I do not want to embarrass him.

Before the match, according to Al, WKP suggested they hedge. WKP told Al that WKP's error rate was 3.1 and WKP also told Al that Al's error rate was 7.1. I guess they had played a few matches previously that WKP analyzed. WKP suggested they hedge, with Al giving WKP 2-to-1 odds.

Al politely declined WKP's offer. Although WKP won the match, Al kicked WKP's ass on the error rate. WKP played a mediocre 6.1 and Al played a very respectable 4.3.

I think this is Al's third tournament this year. He also played in New Jersey and Pittsburgh.

We all welcome Al Hodis back to backgammon. Win or lose, he is a pleasure to compete against and also a great addition (or reinstatement) to the tournament scene.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.