[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Major screwup on last night's WPT telecast

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Thursday, 7 June 2007, at 4:27 p.m.

I don't watch enough TV poker to know if the shows I'm watching are first run or rerun. Last night's Travel Channel Telecast was from the Bahamas. The final (six player) table was all 20-somethings with Robert Mizrachi (lesser known than his brother Michael) was the oldest and supposedly most experienced player at the table.

With four players remaining, Mizrachi got involved (headsup) in a hand against the massive chip leader. I don't remember most of the details but I think I remember enough to call his action a pretty major blunder. Basically the river card hit and the chip leader made a good sized bet. With a small pair Mizrachi pushes all in, claiming later "I put him on a bluff". His opp had hit a straight on the river and Mizrachi's decision garnered him 4th place prize money.

Mike Sexton's comment was "there's hardly any hand he can beat, KQ, but what else?" In the interview Mizrachi said "I didn't play that last hand very well. I'm not sure what I was thinking. I figured he was bluffing or maybe had KQ."

The point is this: if you think your opp might be bluffing (and that's about the only hand you can beat), it's your last bet, and you have the choice of calling or putting in a big raise, how can you possibly win by raising? If he has the bluff he's folding (so you don't win any more than you would by calling) and if you're wrong and he has a real hand (which is likely to beat you), for sure you don't want to raise! Raising is a "heads I break even, tails I lose" proposition.

Or am I missing something?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.