[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What's worse than going 0-3 in Novi?

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Monday, 9 July 2007, at 9:39 p.m.

I've been in a feisty mood today so before I get out of that I have one more needling story to tell.

Call this a lesson in equity optimization.

Matt C-G, having won the Intermediate Consolation at the Midwest, shows up to Novi and sandbags by again entering the Intermediate. This entices Jeb into buying Matt's calcutta team.

At the end of the calcutta auction they mention a special booby prize for going 0-3 in the main events (Open and Intermediate) -- a free ($30) entry into the blitz.

Before dinner break Matt procedes to give Jeb indigestion by going 0-2. So, falling into the (progressive) consolation, he enters the 128 bracket with one very long shot at cashing.

Matt goes W, L (so no free entry into the blitz) and at the end of the first day (of three) will have to fork over fresh money if he wants to continue playing. Well, not quite since there was a free entry, $500 return event for players who had come to the Michigan Summer Champs for the first time. How'd you do in that one, Matt?

Homework problem: assuming equal strength fields in the Intermediate and blitz, a 128-bracket in the consolation, no calcutta or sidepool interest, and payouts of $350, $350, $700, and $1400 in the consolation, would Matt have higher equity by throwing his first consolation match (not that this would be ethical/legal, but we're talking hypothetical here)?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.