[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon Major(s)

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Saturday, 11 June 2011, at 4:23 p.m.

Stimulated by recent threads on backgammon titles and tennis greatness, the issue of backgammon major events came to mind. Define major. IMO, it's not something you can definitively define, but I think there is a simple requirement:

Everybody who's anybody will try his/her best to attend and compete.

In tennis and golf, this requirement is meant for their respective four top events. What about backgammon?

There was a time when the Backgammon World Championship in Monte Carlo fit into this category. When I was there last year I didn't get the impression that such is still true.

The six World Cups (particularly the last few -- I don't have enough details on the first couple) qualify. The 2007 Party Gammon Million also made the grade. Some of the World Amateur Championships (with connected Open Divisions) probably qualified as well.

Any others, and in particular, anything since 2007, and anything on the horizon?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.