[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

crying in their beer...

Posted By: Wilcox
Date: Wednesday, 6 July 2011, at 2:31 p.m.

Referring to a post from a few months back:

I've been largely out of the BG loop for quite some time. I'm skeptical that many pros from decades past are "crying in their beer." Some adjusted to the wave of ever-improving computer constructs, inspired by curiosity and to keep pace with the game's improvement through technology. Some others, like myself, saw where things were going, including decreasing opportunities for a decent income from the game - and stopped playing or at least slowed way down. I tip my hat to those who kept up and are playing with incredibly low error rates, as well as the dynamic younger group who seem energized for the moment. I understand the quest for near-perfection in something.

I feel the comparison between physical/mental sports and "purely" mental activities to be weak in the way someone described. Backgammon played at the remarkable level of several players now, is computer-like. Yes, players can have off days of concentration, but there are minimal forces in play beyond their knowledge and consistent ability to apply what they know (including leveraging opponent weaknesses.) Playing a sport, one is impacted a great deal more by physical and psychological issues. As well, there is no computer or human suggesting that top athletes are within 2-3% of perfect play yet, even in the individual sports. Backgammon, for better or worse, appears "capped" in its most popular form.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.