[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Take Me Out and Shoot Me

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 30 March 2009, at 7:09 p.m.

In Response To: Take Me Out and Shoot Me (happyjuggler0)

I'm not a poker player and have little or no appreciation for it at all -- not from a learned perspective nor from a respect perspective.

However, it seems to me that backgammon -- despite the fact that it is a dice game with probably something approaching an infinite number of permutations of play within a single game, and certainly within a match -- is more deterministic and predictable. Everything is there on the board in front of you. All possible rolls, and their probabilities are known. Bad beats can be objectively quantified, understood, and bemoaned.

Poker, with the incomplete knowledge of the cards in hands, cards having been tossed in folded hands, and cards remaining in the deck coupled with bluffing and other such psychological aspects lends itself a bit more, in my opinion, to the random bad beat -- i.e., it should be anticipated as more just part of the game.

In each game, skill should ultimately prevail; however, in each the individual tournament likely provides a sample considerably smaller than necessary to accurately predict results based on skill.

Now, Stick will doubtlessly call me out but many of us feel that a badge of honor. My opinion of poker remains intact.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.