[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Rollout

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Saturday, 27 February 2016, at 9:57 p.m.

In Response To: Rollout (Bob Koca)

I won't say that your proposal is actually wrong, but I agree with Jason that to count as a full answer, you should specify the rules of the game in enough detail that (for example) a member of the general public could read your rulesheet and go off and actually play the game. In your initial description, it's not clear what skilled task A and B are performing and how their performance leads to the outcome you want. I also don't understand how the randomness is arising—is it being generated by a randomizing device or is it arising from the variability of the players' performances? This detail will affect how the (backgammon-bot-like) "luck" is computed.

As for the definition of a game, I think that the mathematician's instinct for defining everything precisely at the outset is actually counterproductive here. I think a better approach is to try to produce examples that everyone recognizes as being game-like, and only resort to precise definitions if you are forced to introduce a feature that is controversial.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.