[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Fixing the Meter

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Tuesday, 10 January 2017, at 7:15 a.m.

In Response To: Fixing the Meter (Albert Steg)

Upon reflection, I think my addition of "At" or "Well" in line 1, and "Then" in line 2, only affected the number of syllables; it didn't really help the meter (or meaning). So, I trimmed the fat.

For line 4, I decided on "cancel" (though not yet definitely), because visual cancellation is a vital tool for executing step 4 quickly. If someone has already practiced step 4, I don't think it's hard to remember which points to shift to, and for those starting out, I don't think "middles" will automatically conjure up the 2nd and 5th points of each quadrant.

I strongly considered, "then SHIFT to the SECond and FIFTH, with GLEE"). However, then I found "For ACcuraCY," which usefully reminds the counter that Step 4 is necessary only to perfect an already good approximate count, whereas "with glee" (or some such) is merely filler. As "for accuracy" requires two beats, I couldn't also upgrade "cancel" (or "middles") to "2nd and 5th." I had to choose.

The latest version (not necessarily final) is printed below, first with the beats capitalized, then without.

Nack

.......FIRST you DOUBle the NEAR side MEN...........

.......ADD the diAGonal, DOUBle aGAIN

.......Plus SLANTS, less ONE-o-FIVE, times THREE

.......Then SHIFT and CANcel (for ACcuraCY)...................(or replace "and CANcel" with "to the MIDDLES")

.......First you double the near side men
.......Add the diagonal, double again
.......Plus slants, less 105, times 3
.......Then shift and cancel (for accuracy)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.