[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Re: Opening 6-2, 6-6, dance

Posted By: Black Swan
Date: Saturday, 28 October 2006, at 12:35 a.m.

In Response To: 62S-66B-F-C? (Stick)

A useful guideline, no idea who originated it, for doubling after an early 6-6 is to do so when you have made a net improvement. This improvement is most commonly an unanswered additional point. I will add that when the improvement is specifically the five point "made cleanly", that is, without giving up the 8 point, I have found that is good enough even if the opponent has also made a point. (Think of the clean five point as counting as two improvements.)

With that guideline in mind, I think this is a double, because though you have done nothing new, he has made a negative improvement by staying out and leaving another blot hanging! Of course I still take, but Blue looks good enough for a center double to me. Recube, not sure, but what kind of maniac would have given you the cube this early anyway?

See you all after the Las Vegas tourney. I'll be flying out shortly (of course I'm flying, how else would a Swan travel?) I am hoping to see old friends but also meet some of the players I know only from on-line play and the BBs. Will try to bring back some interesting positions to post!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.