[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Learning Naccel - Problem 1

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Monday, 25 January 2010, at 4:35 a.m.

In Response To: Learning Naccel - Problem 1 (Claude Landry)

The beauty of naccel is there is many ways to get your answer. I took another route. For blue I moved the 2 checkers on 9pts +1 n -1. Poof! only a mirror left 2= 102.

Elegant! It gains on Matt's solution (+2p -2p, and count S1 + Pair) by arguably leaving you only one formation to count instead of two. Your shift and counting +2 (mirror) is comparable to my solution of counting 1 + 1 (diag + six-prime) without a shift, and requires less knowledge.

For white, I brought the checker on 17 n 16 on supe3n compensate by moving 1 checker from supe1 to -5.

That works well, too. You can probably tell I'm a fan of minimal shifting (and I also prefer to shift towards S0 rather than away from it, other things being equal), but closing the board and stacking S3 is very satisfying. I also like the way that you either conjured an S0 checker or broke the 0pt -- you seem to have no problem with the concept.

If I hadn't been so quick to post #7, I would have included your solutions.

Then 4x supe3= 12 + -4(six-sym around -4)+ -1 (2 pairs -2-1/3)=7 = 132

Your count is accurate, but I have a couple of terminology corrections. What you're calling "2 pairs" is actually a "block." Please review pairs in the second diagram here, and review blocks here and the second diagram here. Also, "Super" is short for Super-point, while "supe" is short for superpip. (By analogy, you wouldn't say that you move a checker to a pip; rather, you move it to a point.)

Finally, a closed board is useful to remember as -5 (then you won't be subdividing it). If you forget, you can instead count a closed board as a six-prime by (a) summing the end points, or (b) doubling the high point and subtracting 5. For more on six-primes, review here and the sixth diagram here. In short, your (after-shift) count could have read: "Four on S3 = 12, and closed board = -5; that nets to -7."

My next Naccel post will probably include the position here in case you want to count it. (Underneath that thread, see the counting thread started by Bill.)

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.