[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Upon further review: trivia

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Tuesday, 31 July 2007, at 8:49 p.m.

In Response To: Or even better, this (Chuck Bower)

Here is what I've found out (all from the WWW):

"Blue Moon" term found as long ago as 1528, presumably meaning something total absurd. [I did find one article that said it traces back to ancient Egypt (in hieroglyphics). Here a very sketchy claim with no hard evidence to back it up.]

"Once in a Blue Moon" term reportedly traced back to 1824, but I haven't seen a true reference.

"Blue Moon" meaning second full moon of the month -- originated in 1946.

"Blue Moon" meaning third full moon of a astronomical season (~three months) which contains four full moons -- traced back to 1819.

"Blue Moon" meaning a moon that appears blue due to atmospheric phenomena (dust/smoke) -- not sure when this originated but probably at least as long ago as the 19th century.

So, stick's definition of "Blue Moon" is older than mine. The origin of the phrase "Once in a Blue Moon" is old enough that wherever that term came from, it couldn't have been referring to two full moons in a month. But which definition of "Blue Moon" it actually was referring to apparently hasn't been discovered.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.