[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OLM Fr 09/02/11

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Saturday, 3 September 2011, at 5:47 p.m.

In Response To: OLM Fr 09/02/11 (Jason Lee)

This game has produced some interesting decisions and here's another one. I see three candidates (and start with the pluses of each):

7(2) -- makes five in a row.

24/18, 11/9 -- hurdles the 5-prime and cements a broken prime. Gets the checker on the 11-point working and, all things considered, is great for our timing.

2*(2) -- makes the fourth homeboard point while putting the third opp checker on the bar (clearing out most of opp's chances for making an anchor next roll). This play appears to lead to the most gammons, although it recalls an appropriate cliche': "you can't win a gammon if you don't win the game."

How about downsides? In general the downsides of each play are the negative of the upsides of its competitors: not getting trapped checkers moving, not preserving timing, not getting inefficiently placed checkers into useful locations.

I find that thinking optimistically in these games which are far from gin is usually the right approach for me. Concerning ourselves with the back checkers at this point is probably a bit paranoid. The Point-on-Head play looks good for timing (although not as good as running out) and puts the immediate hurt on opp with gammon upside. I hope this isn't too near-sighted (but that's not an optimistic thought :).

2*(2)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.