[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Daily Quiz Info

Posted By: Stick
Date: Tuesday, 19 June 2012, at 4:04 a.m.

Yes, it feels lately like there have been more posts discussing the daily quizzes than daily quizzes themselves. After the last discussion on how to get people involved more, answering more, I took some time to think about it.

In the beginning as you know I started with 5 problems hoping to post problems ~5 days a week. At the end of the week I would have 20-25 problems to choose five problems from to write the recaps. I figured I'd be able to hone in on the problems people had the most problems with and cover them. The biggest issue here was that most people find it cumbersome to respond to 5 problems at a time. It takes quite a lot of time esp. if you're tackling them seriously and I got too few replies. So...

I took what I thought was a logical step to solve the problem. Cut down to 3 problems a day but try to post 6-7 days a week. This would leave me roughly the same amount of problems and hopefully garner more replies. It was still too much and failed.

The idea was put forth recently to post one problem a day 5 days a week. I can't argue this will likely get (a lot?) more replies. That's the good news. There are a couple of big problems on my end using this method that people may not have realized when suggesting it as an option. With the two previous options I had a lot of material to pick from at the end of the week. In the 1 problem a day solution I have just that, those 5 problems. That means ahead of time I have to be sure they'll be good problems to cover.

On top of that what if I post 5 problems and it turns out that two of the problems were easy for people? Believe it or not I don't always know what is hard for other people nor what is easy. There are problems on the forums that are posted and I think 'how is this a problem?' and there are others posted that I think would be difficult and everyone nails. So if I get to the end of the week and 2/5 problems were labeled as 'nexts' it is a waste of everyone's time for me to write about them.

So even though for the last perhaps couple of weeks you have seen nothing on the daily quizzes or recaps I have been working on them. I have gathered a mass of what will hopefully turn out to be quality problems and I will now post 1 problem a day from here on out. If I ever run into the situation where the problem was too easy for everyone I may replace it with another random problem when I do the recaps.

Suggestions for improvements are welcome as always.

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.