[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Victor Ashkenazi--IT ISN'T FAIR!!

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 10 December 2012, at 3:31 p.m.

First, congratulations to Victor for winning the Tampa ABT event last weekend and ending up 3rd in the ABT. I have no idea of the actual statistics for the year, but as much as I admire Neil for winning once again (I bet on him even money against the field when he was in 5th place with only 5 tournaments to go, by the way), I would have to say that Victor's performance this year in both the Open and in Masters events has been amazing and highly worthy of praise. Clearly he needs to be highly considered on everyone's Giant voting list next time.

I completely understand and agree that the ABT awards points only for the open (and intermediate) events, and the USBGF also has a ranking/rating system for that as well. However, if we are really going to measure the results of the very top players, there should be another ranking that also takes into account performance in the Masters events. Again, I don't know the actual statistics, but I would guess that Victor has done more damage there by far than anyone else this year. And that is significant--the average PR rating of your opponents in the Masters is far stronger than in the Open.

So please join me in voicing a recommendation to the ABT, the USBGF, and to all other groups and federations to establish some measure that includes Masters as well as Open performance.

(Again, I agree that the overall awards should be only for Open, as many players will not enter Masters simply because it is expensive, and we don't want to award players based on their ability to buy points. But if we are truly looking to recognize the players that perform the best, that win the most, particularly against other really good players, including the Masters events is the way to do it.)

Victor, whether you get the recognition you deserve or not, I do want to formally and publicly offer you my congratulations and admiration for a fantastic year and performance. It also is wonderful that a person who plays so well is always a gentleman and a good sport whether he wins or loses. I have never seen Victor complain that he was out-rolled, and he has certainly never thrown a chair or berated his opponents.

Congrats also to Alfred Mamlet for a terrific year...another great sport and gentleman and someone who has also proven himself to be a great player, and to my arch-rival, Carter, who ended up 4th in the ABT--his best year ever. Say what you will about Carter, his spirit and enthusiasm and obvious love for the game add to all of our lives in spite of....well....you know.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.