[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Simulating XG Roller++ in GNU Backgammon

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Sunday, 23 December 2012, at 5:09 a.m.

–

Simulating XG Roller++ in GNU Backgammon

GnuBg allows you to set up a rollout, and then store the parameters for easy reuse later. I have done this to create three different rollouts.

1. a.rol — 1296 trial, 2-ply, full rollout (my usual setup).
  2. b.rol — 360 trial, truncated, 2-ply rollout. This one truncates after 5 plies, and mimics the XGR++ settings used for checker plays.
  3. c.rol — 360 trial, truncated, 2-ply rollout. This one truncates after 7 plies, and mimics the XGR++ settings used for cube decisions.
In the hint box, or at the bottom of the move panel, I generally click “a,” “b” or “c” instead of clicking “Rollout.”

I have a dual-core Intel CPU that also has multithreading (2 threads per core). On my system, the 360 trial, truncated rollouts take only slightly longer than a 4-ply analysis, and have the advantage that you can see the progress during the rollout. In some cases, the truncated rollouts seem to be faster than a 4-ply analysis, but that is just my anecdotal observation.

It is easy to set this up.

Rollout A

1. Click Settings, Rollouts... to open the Rollouts dialog box.
  2. This dialog should be set up for the rollout last used on your system. Save it as a.rol.
    1. Click Save as (at the bottom of the Rollouts dialog box).
    2. Enter lower case a as the name.
    3. Click Save.

Rollout B

1. The Rollouts dialog box should still be open. If not, open it by clicking Settings, Rollouts...
  2. If you are not already there, go to the General tab of the Rollouts dialog box.
  3. Enter the number 360 in the box labeled Trials.
  4. Put a checkmark in the checkbox for Truncate Rollouts.
  5. Type the number 5 in the box labeled Truncate at ply:
  6. Put a checkmark in the checkbox for Enable separate evaluations.
  7. Enter the number 2 in the box labeled Change eval after ply:
  8. Switch to the Play Settings tab of the dialog box.
  9. Under the heading First Play Both, select World Class.
  10. Under the heading Later Play Both, select World Class. This selects the desired move filter and cube settings, but does not set up the desired checker play. We do that next.
    1. Under the heading Later Play Both, click Advanced Settings... to open a dialog box named Later Play Both.
    2. On the left are checker-play settings. Under Lookahead Plies, enter the number 1.
    3. At the bottom of the dialog box, click Close.
  11. Back in the Rollouts dialog box, save these settings as b.rol.
    2. Enter lower case b as the name.
    3. Click Save.

Rollout C

These steps parallel those used for b.rol with one difference. This rollout uses 7 as the setting for Truncate at ply: Of course, you save using the name c.
  1. The Rollouts dialog box should still be open. If not, open it by clicking Settings, Rollouts...
  2. Go to the General tab of the Rollouts dialog box.
  3. Enter the number 360 in the box labeled Trials.
  4. Put a checkmark in the checkbox for Truncate Rollouts.
  5. Type the number 7 in the box labeled Truncate at ply:
  6. Put a checkmark in the checkbox for Enable separate evaluations.
  7. Enter the number 2 in the box labeled Change eval after ply:
  8. Switch to the Play Settings tab of the dialog box.
  9. Under the heading First Play Both, select World Class.
  10. Under the heading Later Play Both, select World Class. This selects the desired move filter and cube settings, but does not set up the desired checker play. We do that next.
    1. Under the heading Later Play Both, click Advanced Settings... to open a dialog box named Later Play Both.
    2. On the left are checker-play settings. Under Lookahead Plies, enter the number 1.
    3. At the bottom of the dialog box, click Close.
  11. Back in the Rollouts dialog box, save these settings as c.rol.
    2. Enter lower case c as the name.
    3. Click Save.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.