[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT: What are fair point values for Zombie dice?

Posted By: leobueno
Date: Saturday, 30 March 2013, at 5:11 p.m.

Described below is a modified version of Zombie dice (http://www.sjgames.com/dice/zombiedice/) which the kids and I play.

As in the original game, the idea is to sequentially roll sets of 3 specialty dice (described below and in the link above) until you either voluntarily stop rolling or bust.

There are green, yellow an red dice whose faces show:

Green: 3 brains, 1 shotgun blasts, 2 footsteps

Yellow: 2 brains, 2 shogun blasts, 2 footsteps

Red: 1 brain, 3 shotgun blats, 1 footsteps

After each roll, you accumulate either brains (you ate your victim's brains) or shotgun blasts (victim shot you); footsteps are neutral (victim ran away).

If you choose to stop rolling, you get 1 point for each accumulated brain. You bust when you accumulate 3 shotgun blasts and receive no points in that game.

Instead of picking the dice blindly from a bag, as called for in the original version rules, we let the players pick which 3 dice to roll of any color available.

Obviously, nobody in his right mind would roll anything other than the green dice, since they have the most brains and least shotgun blasts.

We modified the rules by somewhat arbitrarily awarding 1 point for each green die, 2 points for a yellow die and 5 points for a red die.

So, the riskier the dice you select to roll, the more points you stand to get. This introduces a nice risk/reward element to the game.

Here is where you come in. I don't know whether our 1:2:5 point ratio is the fairest, that is, the one that balances the risk/reward of each die color.

So: What should be the fair point value of each color die?

I don't know whether one can calculate the desired values. Naturally, I could do a simulation by rolling, say, 1,000 games with each color dice and tallying the average number of brains accumulated right before the bust for each color; then, I would add a factor to the yellow and red dice that equates the average outomes of the three colors.

Also, I could but now don't have the tools (e.g., a BASIC interpreter) to write a simulation program, or the time to manually do the simulation.

What say you is the right green:yellow:red ratio?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.