[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Question to Neil RE: Indiana 2001 final racing cube

Posted By: Igor
Date: Monday, 1 April 2013, at 3:37 a.m.

I recently got a subscription to the gammon village magazine and was reading an article by Jake Jacobs on Neil's win in Indiana Open in 2001. Since I'm currently trying to make sense of racing formulas in general and EPC in particular, the following position got me to turn on my "calculator."

White is Player 2

score: 3
pip: 33
13 point match
pip: 15
score: 7

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-G-A-A---------------dccb-:2:1:1:00:7:3:0:13:10
Blue on roll, cube action?

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.10

I estimated blue EPC as 36.8 (actual 36.5) and white EPC as 47 (actual 47.2). So far so good. Now to the GWC estimates. I used a couple of shortcuts that I learned and both of them where way off.

Now, Neil, I know you said in your recent post that there is no reliable formula utilizing EPC that would allow you to estimate GWC; this would especially be true for such a lopsided race. So, how did you estimate the race OtB? Turning the cube perhaps was not as difficult a decision as the take/pass one. If you were white would you have taken the cube?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.