[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Tough lineup in LA

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Saturday, 8 June 2013, at 3:14 p.m.

The top seeds on the Calcutta sheet are Neil, MCG, Wachtel, Sax, Fogerlund, O'Laughlin, Malcolm, Joe Russell, Koca, Nuniyants, Nunez, Simborg, Sconyers, Markowitz and Glass.

Of course, there are many other players who can easily win and some who have, and I won't name them for fear of leaving someone out, however, Herb Roman continues to be the best player who just can't win, and Dorn Bishop continues to be an unseeded player who always seems to win.

The hotel is lovely and the room is unusually quiet (Carter didn't come this year). Pat selected the Hilton partially because the chairs are heavy and that makes it harder for Coolrey to throw them when he loses.

Matches are being streamed on the USBGF.org/stream site, but you might think the dice are blurry. They are not. As part of the new rules we are using fuzzy dice to make the game more interesting and as long as your move is close to legal and your opponent doesn't notice you can put the checkers just about about anywhere you want.

I thought the LA locals would have been somewhat depressed after the loss to the Blackhawks the previous night, but when I asked them about the game (to rub it in) most of them were not aware that LA had a hockey team.

My lecture tomorrow is entitled "Playing From Behind" and I got a lot of practice last night standing behind my doubles partner (Efim Lieberman) and yelling "Don't do that!" We did win our first two matches. Actually, we make a great team--he always miscounts our opponent's pips while I miscount mine, and when our opponents hearing us discuss cube action they get quite confused (as we are).

More updates later.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.