[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon Movies You Will Never See

Posted By: Jake Jacobs
Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2013, at 1:46 a.m.

In Response To: Backgammon Movies You Will Never See (Phil Simborg)

Phil, Wilcox Snellings was regarded as the world's best long before he won a tournament. A major factor was that he played in relatively few tournaments. Herb Roman is legendary for the deliberate pace of his game. Few realize it, but for twenty-five years he has been playing his first tournament.

Actually, Herb is orders of magnitude faster than he once was. In the old days I once took a redouble from him in a 7-point match at the Tuesday Bar Point tournament because I was leaving for Bangkok on Friday, and worried about missing my flight. Today I would pass, unless the flight left on Wednesday.

Re: your last crack. I heard this from Dean Muench, and while Dean could cook up good stories, you'd be wise to swallow them with a grain of salt. He said that once upon a time he kibitzed a game between Sandy Lubetkin and Herb Gurland, and that Sandy looked up, surprised, and said to Herb: "Hey, you play pretty good for a guy giving up 80 IQ points!"

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.