[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Bearing Off Against a Back Game: Clearing Is Not Clear

Posted By: kruidenbuiltje
Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2013, at 9:06 p.m.

In Response To: Bearing Off Against a Back Game: Clearing Is Not Clear (Paul Weaver)

Hi,

this problem reminds me, in its idea, of problem number 35 on Roberties 2+2-forum. There he also leaves a direct blot in front of a backgame.

But the big difference is that in that problem he gets extra gammons out of the play, where here thats not the case.

Ok it is probably true that the blot is not very risky, since any hit will probably kill the backgame or the backgame-timing.

So the only question is (for your 1st position), why is 6/5 3/off safer?

I have analysed the distribution of the checkers on the points after the 3 variations and i saw the following:

The position after 5/4 3/off is rather risky: 64,54 and 42 give a double shot and 65 and 53 give a triple shot.

Apart from the initial double shot, the position after 6/5 3/off is less risky: D6,D5,D4 and 54 give a double shot.

The position after 6/5 6/3 doesn't give a shot at all on any next throw, but it doesn't take a checker off either.

There are rules about how many extra risk a player can take when the opponent has a closed board; The sixes and sevens rule (see Lamford: improve your backgammon).

I don't know rules for board with open points.

Conclusion:

After 6/5 6/3 white shouldn't hit since it kills the backgame(timing) and the extra checker off compensates for the extra risk on the next move.

In position b) 6/5 6/3 is not advisable since the direct hit kills the gammons, but here the extra checker off compenasates for an even higher risk, because of the extra gammons.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.