[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Here are several Rules of 4

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 26 November 2013, at 2:51 a.m.

In Response To: What is the Rule of 4? (Stick)

The rule of 4 I use says that you need to have 4 or fewer checkers on your midpoint AND be ahead 15 percent in the race, AND you need to have the 8 point or 7 point (or both) in order to double (at NMS) when you opponent holds your 5 point or 7 point.

I have seen many exceptions when you can double with 5 and depending on wastage and your opponent's board etc. you might be able to double with less than 15 percent, but as a general rule this works.

Another Rule of 4 is when you are bearing off when you have one of your opponent's checkers on the bar. Assuming he has 6, 7, 8 or 9 checkers borne off, and assuming he has all his remaining checkers on his 1 and 2 and possibly 3 with no misses, you can redouble when you have 4 fewer checkers off (at NMS). So if he has 8 checkers off, if you get 4 off, and you have a clean bearoff, and he's still on the bar, it is a double/take. If you only have 3 checkers off, it's no double, and if you have 5 checkers off it is a pass.

Another Rule of 4 is if you are in our chouette and you have to play against more than 4 opponents, you can take a partner in the box.

Another Rule of 4...which we used to play but I can't convince the guys to go along with this anymore, is that you can't stop the chouette to make a settlement unless the cube is on 4 or higher.

And finally, there is another Rule of 4 that applied to a player who used to be in our chouette but sadly passed away: he would never take a cube higher than 4.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.