[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Advanced Backgammon #8

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Sunday, 26 January 2014, at 6:20 a.m.

In Response To: Advanced Backgammon #8 (Igor)

White is Player 2

score: 0
pip: 170
Unlimited Game
Beaver
pip: 148

Blue is Player 1
XGID=-b-B--D-B--adF---d-d----A-:0:0:1:45:0:0:2:0:10

White is Player 2

pip: 162
Unlimited Game
Beaver
pip: 148

Blue is Player 1
XGID=---B-bD-B--adF---d-d----A-:0:0:1:45:0:0:2:0:10

51$-31H-52V-53P-42@-52R-63R-54

R (Run, 24/15) is plausible in both positions despite walking into a double shot in the outfield, except for the drawback of leaving a six-checker midpoint and a stripped 8pt. So, I'll eliminate that play from being best. This leaves a choice of S (Split, 24/20 13/8) and D (Down, 13/9 13/8).

For Position 8A (above, left), I don't entirely resonate with the reasoning offered in the book. There is a lot of value in running the single back checker part way (with S). Better to be attacked on the 20pt (or possibly be missed) then sit on the 24pt, which gives the opponent a free hand to bring down diversified builders. The only reason to override that concern is distribution: after bringing the 5 down, there is still a fifth checker on the midpoint. For that reason, the author's choice of D looks best anyway, as tempted as I am to rebel with S.

There is a more serious issue with 8A. No matter what White's last (roll and) move was to reach this position, it was poorly played!

Position 8B (above, right) seems like the easy one. Naturally, blotting in front of the anchor with D is out, while slotting the 4pt or 2pt (with $ or %) also squanders the valuable 4. For reasons implied earlier, S must be best, this time with R being my second choice.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.