[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

My Blunder Of The Day

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Sunday, 13 April 2014, at 6:13 p.m.

In Response To: My Blunder Of The Day (Michael Depreli)

Something about these almost-but-not-quite-disengaging double 4's seems to be difficult for the bots as well as for humans.

The tradeoff seems to be between saving 6's and 5's versus keeping a decent board and not wasting pips. Do we need to worry about keeping a decent board at all? If we end up being forced to leave a shot, will White cube before hitting? ATS, I think she might, which means we'll be in the game until the end, so a decent board isn't completely useless. What about not wasting pips? We're far enough ahead in the race that I don't think that we have to worry that much about wasting pips. Finally, how important is it to save 6's and 5's? Pretty important, since White will be able to wait for quite a while.

My first instinct was to play 8/4(2) 6/2(2). However, based on the above reasoning, I'm thinking that maybe we need to save two 6's and not worry so much about wasting pips. So let's try 8/4 6/2(2) 5/1. Obviously this is uglier but killing one checker with 5/1 isn't that bad and we still have reasonable chances of making the 4pt if we roll small. The most extreme saving play, 6/2(2) 5/1(2), strikes me as costing too much in terms of our board and wastage, though I'm prepared to have my meter recalibrated if that's what a rollout dictates.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.