[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

"The Trick" pre-Crawford

Posted By: David Presser
Date: Friday, 10 April 2015, at 6:36 a.m.

In Response To: "The Trick" pre-Crawford (Timothy Chow)

I do it when I get a chance but as opposed to the post-Crawford trap where the TP is mostly clear, you need to know and understand the take point (and gammon value) so XG won't (correctly) ding you for waiting too long. The TP for a 4 cube when leading 5a-2a or more is not trivial. For example, the 4 cube TP for the leader at 6a-2a is ~34% with a gammon value of 1. You can also do it for higher automatic cubes but then the TP is generally easier to compute. For example, the 8 cube TP for the leader at 4a-7a is 43% which is the ME for 4a-3a.

From my little experience I didn't get incorrect passes in live play. I did get a couple of incorrect 4 or 8 cube passes when playing online. I hardly get a chance to do it in live play since most would rather win a gammon or be over-conservative when a cube with automatic recube is in question (in addition to the small doubling window which makes this case not too frequent).

As for your PR question - it probably has an effect on the PR as with every position that wasn't doubled "automatically" there is another decision added to the denominator. The numerator probably also increases but if played correctly this should be marginal.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.