[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Calcutta buybacks

Posted By: Roland Scheicher
Date: Friday, 12 June 2015, at 6:54 a.m.

After a player has been auctioned off at a Calcutta, this player has the right to buy back a portion of his lot from the successful bidder.

There are two questions

(1) When must the player exercise this right?

Must he exercise his right immediately after the bidding on his lot has been closed? Or, is he allowed to wait until the end of the entire auction, i.e. until all players will have been sold?

If yes, the player will know the exact amount of the Calcutta pool and will decide whether to buy back a portion of his lot or not using this knowledge, whereas the bidder in the Calcutta could only estimate the amount of the pool.

If the player is allowed to wait until the end of the entire auction he has an advantage, which makes it more attractive to participate in the auction.

In any case I think this privilege must be exercised before the draw, especially before the player knows whether he has a bye or not.

(2) Up to which percentage should a player be entitled to buyback?

I think 25% should be a sound percentage. Of course, the owner of the Calcutta lot could sell an even higher portion – at any time for any freely negotiated price. But he must not decline a player’s wish for 25% when he is asked before the draw.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.