[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

After looking at the rollouts...

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Saturday, 24 October 2015, at 9:01 p.m.

In Response To: Othello Quiz 2015 (Timothy Chow)

I'm going to go on the assumption that for the problems I got right, my analysis was basically correct. So here are some further thoughts on 4, 6, 8, 10, which I got wrong.

4. I reasoned that although priming was a better strategy than attacking for containing White's checker, we needed a tempo hit. I suspect that I'm right about priming being better than attacking, and just misjudged the need for a tmepo hit. White has a number of hitting rolls from the bar anyway, and exposing another blot jacks up the gammon losses.

6. Though I didn't say so, I considered the double hit but figured that I would rather get hit back on the 20pt rather than in my own home board. It looks to me that playing 5/1 instead of 13/9* gives up too much priming potential even though it has the advantage of losing fewer gammons.

8. It looks like I simply underestimated the attacking power of hitting twice.

10. It looks like I was too fixated on leaving the 12pt checkers alone. Playing 12/10 instead of 10/9(2) gives us more flexibility with 6's and 4's I think.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.