[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Giants list - solve it.

Posted By: Keene
Date: Monday, 22 February 2016, at 6:26 p.m.

I just watched Matt's video. I also have read all the other collective's on the Giants list. IMO, Matt's video is a good articulation of some of the problems associated with the Giants list. A good argument set, a good list of explanations as to why its so subjective, and some good descriptions of some alternatives.

HOWEVER, we once again find ourselves in a position whereby everyone is willing to put out their 2 cents as to why its either good / bad / indifferent, but no one is putting out a firm solution! The collective is continuing to put forth their ideas, and caveats and solutions to the parts that they see as problems.

Whats the answer then? I think it has to go. It needs to be replaced with something that marries quantifiable results with overall performance, and sneaks in some subjective variance a la current format. It has to be a weighted solution.

So, here's my suggestion:

1. Get some of the smarter statistical minds on the case. Find a formula that weighs all of the above:
a. PR
b. Results
c. Popularity

These should be weighed appropriately.

2. Endorsement from ALL the federations required

3. Formalized structure

4. Fixed criteria for:
a. Voters
b. Eligibility

5. A public, transparent solution that answers the question: Who are the best players in the world?

Before you start in on this, yes, I am aware of the Silliman / Larsen / BMAB etc. None of these are perfect solutions. There needs to be some subjectivity, there needs to be a better all encompassing solution.

Also, JJ, CJC, YY, JS - good job - your work is admired and admirable. Thanks from me to you. I think the times are changing and people are clamoring for better more formalized structure.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.