[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

RIP: The Independent Backgammon Column

Posted By: Chris Bray
Date: Friday, 11 March 2016, at 6:06 p.m.

As most of you will know The Independent newspaper will become digital only from March 28th.

For budgetary reasons a lot of the premium content will not be making the journey to the digital edition and sadly that includes the all the games columns. So after a run of twenty-two years and one month my backgammon column will, at least temporarily, be retired. My final column, bearing the same title as the very first one, “Quo Vadis Backgammon” will be published on Saturday March 26th.

Twenty years ago the paper did a reorganisation and the column was also deleted then. However, an outcry from the readers had it back in print within three weeks. This time the newspaper’s problems are more fundamental and I doubt whether letters to the editor will have much impact. However, if anybody wishes to express their support for the column you can always write to customerservices@independent.co.uk or letters@independent.co.uk

I have now started to approach other newspapers/periodicals to see if I can find a new home for the column. The newspaper world is very difficult at the moment so I suspect this might prove a tad difficult. However, I can but try. If anyone would like to offer to host the column then please apply here!

All of this excitement has caused a delay in my putting together what will be now be the final book in the “Wind” series. That book, “Backgammon in the Wind” should now be published around August and will contain three and a quarter years of Independent material plus other writings. Once that is published I will turn my mind to a long-planned book on the middle game.

There will be no change to my website so you can still wrestle with ‘Position of the Day’ at www.chrisbraybackgammon.com

To quote the title of the autobiography of my favourite cricket commentator, Brian Johnston, “It’s been a lot of fun”.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.