[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Thank you Phil Simborg for the book recommendation!!!

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Thursday, 19 January 2017, at 11:13 p.m.

Phil wrote, If you really want to have fun with someone like that, read the book, The Rosie Project by Greame Simsion. It is hilarious and you might recognize quite a few backgammon players in the main character.

from this post which was from a backgammon-related thread, so this post is tangentially on-topic.

I had put this book hold from my local library (in order to deny Phil his royalties as previously discussed) and just now I walked to the library to pick it up, about a 15-minute walk at a brisk pace, one-way. By the time I arrived at the library it was already dusk, and I have to walk through a park that closes at dusk both to and fro. As fortune would have it my son was out running errands so I called and asked if he could pick me up at the library on his way home. He agreed.

Now let me tell you. I checked out the book and sat down at a table in the library and started reading it. It took me ten minutes to make it through the first paragraph. I couldn't read more than two or three words without busting out in side-splitting laughter. I only made it through about five pages in the twenty-five minutes or so before my son arrived because I was laughing so hard I couldn't read, and my eyes were watering from laughing so hard. The library wasn't crowded but people walking by were looking at me like I was nuts.

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! I'm only on page 6, and the book is 295 pages. At this rate it may take me months to read it!

Now I don't know if this euphoria will last throughout the entire book- for instance in my opinion the movie Idiocracy was laugh-out-loud funny for the first 45 minutes or so but I thought it got a bit tedious towards the end. But I'm still glad I watched it. So no matter how this book turns out, I'm already glad I checked it out.

Laughter is the best medicine! Thank you so much, Phil!!

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.