[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What mamabear taught me about GridGammon etiquette

Posted By: leobueno
Date: Sunday, 27 August 2017, at 2:33 p.m.

I am a donkey. On a good day my GridGammon rating is in the mid 1500s.

Last night I sat down to play and decided to invite everyone whose rating was higher than mine to a 7-point match. One of the players I invited was mamabear, whose rating was in the high 1900s.

I was expecting the customary rejection from a highly-rated player. However, she accepted and we played the match! I lost, but needless to say, I was honored to play Ms. Hickey and grateful for the opportunity.

Here is the lesson. In the past, when players with significantly lower ratings than mine invited me, I refused. After last night, I realized that if Ms. Hickey can accept this donkey's invitation to play, I should do the same for all of my fellow donkeys. I will do so in the future: I will not turn down anyone because of a lower rating.

My sense is that Ms. Hickey is a six-sigma exception to the practice of highly rated Gridgammon players turning down invitations from donkeys. I hope to see the day when top players follow mamabear and play all comers.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.