[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Speed Gammon Clock Ruling

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Saturday, 12 May 2018, at 2:51 a.m.

Let;s say I am an experienced player in general and know my way around the block, but haven't had a lot of experience in tight clock situations. I'm playing my for first time in a Speed Gammon side event.

In my second oe third match, I am playing a person I played, and beat, in a different event that weekend. I have reached DMP and closed out my opponent and am in the bearoff phase, just needing to clear his checker without getting hit to clinch the match. I have 8 seconds in the bank, and am rolling carefully so I don't dump them on the floor or cock them, wasting precious seconds.

In the midst of my bearing off, for the first time in maybe 10 games over two matches, after I roll my dice, my opponent objects to my rolling style, asking me to please make sure the dice are not touching my fingers as they come out of the cup.

I am totally non-plussed, disrupted and annoyed, and my brain immediately kicks into a kind of fair-play mode where I defend myself and ask what he's talking about while my clock ticks down, and I realize too late that I've squandered my time in argument and my clock times out. He claims victory.

Do I lose? Do I appeal? What should the TD rule?

A normal part of Speedgammon gamesmanship? Cheating? Something in between? What would you call it? Should I not be thinking as badly about my opponent as I must say I still do when I see him and he acts all friendly and I don't feel like shaking his hand? Should I just be thinking about this as part of the rough-and-tumble of speed gammon?

(This actually happened to me in San Antonio in 2017, except I didn't run out of time, and won the match. I'm looking for reasons not to think the worst of this person).

Albert

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.