[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BGOnline Best Poker Forum

Posted By: Stanley E. Richards
Date: Wednesday, 9 May 2007, at 4:15 a.m.

BGOnline could become the best poker forum. Other poker forums have serious flaws. At other forums, there are many posts or responses from different individuals displayed on the screen simultaneously. This cramped style generates a lot of short, shallow post blips. At BGOnline, we enjoy more thoughtful posts. If necessary longer posts are offered to fully explain a complicated matter. Our posts and threads are indented so that one can easily identify the original post, the responses, and the replies to responses. Our thread lines are very clear. This is simply not the case at other forums. The other sites seem like chaotic, unorganized thoughts to somebody who is used to the GammOnline and BGOnline organized index. BGOnlines color coded index easily identifies post that our new, read, or unread. This is helpful in quickly following a thread that interests you or ignoring one that does not. It causes you to notice new posts. In general, BGOnline and GammOnline forums are the easiest to follow and read. Their format generates a stronger desire to study the post contents. Other poker forum graphics are tedious.

As of yet, I have not even mentioned BGOnline’s greatest strength. Stick introduced Pokerhand as a means of displaying poker problems. Thus, a typical poker problem at BGOnline looks like this:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1048874

Compare this to the graphics from PocketFives:

http://www.pocketfives.com/9B791A6C-2AC0-4994-90D0-9C170F7FBA8A.aspx

Now look at what passes as graphics at Two Plus Two:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=10292521&an=0&page=0#Post10292521

Two Plus Two uses FlopTurnRiver software to display the hand. It certainly is superior to the text only garbage from PocketFives. However, it still lags behind Pokerhand which Stick has established as the BGOnline standard.

Now, PocketFives, PokerForum, United Poker Forum, and Two plus Two are fine sites. They offer services, articles, and products that are indeed helpful. However, their forums are lacking. Thus, BGOnline has the potential to be the best poker forum as well as one of the two best backgammon forums. Why is this important? Because, I NEED IT. Several years ago, when I started playing money backgammon online, GammOnline became one of my greatest teachers. I still learn from GammOnline and BGOnline. I also enjoy talking about my favorite board game with other enthusiast. Also, one takes pleasure and pride in giving fine advice to others. Neil K. certainly loves to teach. Matt and Stick probably enjoyed sharing wise words of advice in responding to my recent posted poker problems. Now, I NEED a place to discuss poker. Stick stated that I could post here. Well, let me think. A successful professional poker player says that I can post poker problems at the best organized forum setting. That’s a no-brainer.

I do recommend several steps be taken to make this the best poker forum. 1. The home page should include some biography information about Stick. Some of Walter Trice’s quotes about Stick’s backgammon abilities would be appropriate. Also, visitors should be informed that Stick’s primary income derives from being a professional poker player for many years. 2. The home page must highlight that the forum is for backgammon and poker. 3. The index should explain that it is expected that GNU, Snowie, or Pokerhand be used to post problems. Text poker hands are not welcomed. Also, the index should outline the steps necessary to post with GNU, Snowie, or Pokerhand. I am assuming that Chase’s http://gammonquest.freehostia.com/ can be used to post Snowie boards. I know it works well at GammOnline. 4. A small amount of word of mouth advertising to encourage enthusiastic poker players to visit BGOnline may be necessary. 5. Discourage posters from the silly, mindless, one-two sentences posts that are common at the other poker forums. Posting bad beats to whine is not encouraged. Posting bad beats, brags, or hands to discuss the intricacies of the calls, folds, or raises is encouraged. We want to learn or stimulate our brain cells. I am not sure how to discourage unhelpful postings.

So, what do my fellow BG’s think? Should we encourage more poker postings? If so, are there other steps that should be taken?

Stanley

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.