[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How to design a statisctally significant bot head-to-head?

Posted By: Ian Shaw
Date: Friday, 8 January 2010, at 4:23 p.m.

I've a question for the stats experts.

If I want to play off two bots in a head-to-head contest, how do I choose the right number of games to play, given the following assumptions?

They will play cubeless money games.
I believe that the two bots are very close in strength.
I have the time to play lots of games.

My statistical knowledge is very limited, but I want the test to be rigorous. As I understand it, one starts with the null hypothesis that "The two bots are equal in strength". Then one should run a test with enough samples to give a statistically significant result; you are not supposed to keep extending the test until one bot is far enough in front. If the result is significant, you reject the null hypothesis.

In the end, of course, I want to know which bot is better. Will the test to see whether they are equal answer this question.

Is the design of the test affected if I have a benchmark result which implies that Bot A is x ppg better than Bot B?

For speed, can I run a shorter test simultaneously on several processors, and combine the results by summing them, weighted by the number of games completed, of course?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.