[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

It's Impossible/and a new test of skill

Posted By: phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 23 April 2010, at 5:39 a.m.

I am sent many positions every week by students and friends to discuss, and some of them I highly suspect are "setups" in that it just seems so improbable that a position like that could occur naturally. Now I know there are positions that would be impossible given a limited number of rolls (you can't have all your checkers on one side of the board in 3 rolls), but are there any legal positions that are truly impossible?

For example, would it be possible for both players to simultaneously have all 15 of their checkers in each other's inner board. Even if you called the rolls and made the plays, I'm not sure this is possible. Maybe some day we could program a bot to do this...it would be an interesting game to watch.

And that brings me to a new test that I will be unveiling shortly on my web site (www.simborgbackgammonlessons.com).

I will show you a position that exists after each player has rolled 3 times and moved legally 3 times, and you will have to tell me what the rolls were. I call it "The Scrambled Eggs and Backgammon Test."

Will the mastery of this skill prove you are a better backgammon player? Maybe not. But it will certainly prove you are a better person.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.