[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Boards and Money needed for Students

Posted By: phil Simborg
Date: Sunday, 9 May 2010, at 10:59 a.m.

We have 22 students starting the summer course at Georgia Southern in July, and 44 in the fall. UCLA has a club starting and we are working on clubs at other high schools and colleges around the U.S.

Last semester the GSU students went to Wal-Mart and purchased tiny sets with no cups for $10. At the end of the semester, several students donated these for future students and went out and bought full-sized boards.

Perry and I have found sources for full-sized boards and suppliers willing to give major discounts to get these boards down to about $40 each. We would like to sell these to the students for about $15 or $20 (we think they need to pay something so they will value them more and keep them longer).

Tomorrow night (Monday), here in Chicago, I am helping host a play session for a dozen children in elementary school, and in October, along with Linda Ring and David Rubin, we will be running an event for junior high school and high school kids. Again, boards needed to keep these kids and their parents playing. (We have done this in the past and involve the parents with the kids to get the whole family playing.)

Perry, Joe Russell and I are buying the boards out of our pockets and shipping them and will take whatever we can get back from the students when the local people collect from the students.

Long term, we hope to set up a formal program to help subsidize boards for students, but in the mean time, if anyone would like to help us with the donation of boards or money to buy boards, please shoot me an email at psimborg@sbcglobal.net and I'll let you know where you can ship boards or send money.

Of course, anything else that would make great prizes including backgammon books etc. would be lovely as well.

Thanks for any help or support you care to give.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.