[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Practice minimizing wastage

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Sunday, 27 January 2013, at 11:13 p.m.

In Response To: Practice minimizing wastage (AP)

Let me first say that my experience is almost entirely with XG version 1. Based on your comments, though, it sounds like XG version 2 is behaving similarly, so in what follows I won't distinguish between the versions.

XG 3-ply is basically a donkey when it comes to bearing in. You don't have to take my word for it, because if you re-evaluate using XG Roller+ or even XG 4-ply, you will often get dramatically different results. Even XG Roller+ may be suspect because after all, it's doing a truncated rollout, and the play during the rollout is donkeylicious. This may seem surprising because XG is normally very strong, and you wouldn't think that it would bungle such a "simple" task. But it does. Often what looks like the best move to me won't even make it through XG's move filter; if I then force an evaluation of my move, it usually performs well and is sometimes the top play. To be fair, XG 3-ply will rarely make more than a 0.010 error, but add up ten 0.010 errors (or even ten 0.005 errors) and it starts making a difference.

To make a long story short, I'd recommend that you trust nothing weaker than XGR+ when it comes to bearing in.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.